Saturday 27 November 2021

Virtually Exploring Five Asian Cities

 Colombo, Sri Lanka


Ever since I began my blog in 2016, I’ve featured one blog post every year featuring embedded content from Google Street View. I decided to write a blog post featuring Google Street View views of five cities in Asia. There are two views of each city and it’s possible to explore these embedded views further. You can click the “View on Google Maps” button to view it in another window if the embed does not load. The order I’m using for this post is from left to right geographically.


Amman, Jordan 

We’re beginning in the Middle East which is on the left edge of Asia. Amman is a historical city in Jordan.


A look at the Abdoun Circle.



A roundabout with a hotel in the background. I find it interesting that the traffic island & roundabout are painted blue & purple instead of the black & white painting that are used in my country Sri Lanka. 


Colombo, Sri Lanka

We’re now moving into South Asia going to Sri Lanka which is a topic I write about on this blog. Colombo is my hometown which holds a special place in my heart. 


This is Union Place which features the Columbo style of having big trees on an urban road.



A view of Beira Lake.



Dhaka, Bangladesh 

Bangladesh is also in the South Asian region. Dhaka is its capital and most populous city.


This overpass reminds me of the overpass that used to exist in my Sri Lankan childhood.



A view of Hatirjheel Lake.



Singapore 

Singapore is a developed city-state in South East Asia. I notice that it is an advanced city with several buildings while also having a lot of trees and greenery.


This is from the road featuring the Marina Bay Sands. The Marina Bay Sands has a cool overpass. 



A Singaporean intersection.



Seoul, South Korea

The last city Seoul is in South Korea, another developed Asian nation. This is in East Asia and is located in the right edge of Asia being a fitting end as we began from the left edge of Asia.


Here’s a look into the city of Seoul with its big buildings. I find it interesting that while English isn’t spoken widely in South Korea, the road signs are bilingual and English is used in some shop signs.



Looking at skyscrapers over the Han River with the Wonhyo Bridge to the left.



So that was a selection I made of Asian cities. We have covered historical cities (Amman), South Asian cities of developing countries (Colombo & Dhaka) and leading global cities of developed Asia (Singapore & Seoul). Feel free to comment. I’m interested in hearing if you’re from any of the places on this list.

2 comments: